Sunday, 2 January 2011

A Christmas for the Books

This Christmas was definitely an interesting one one we will never forget. It is the Christmas that will be remembered as the year everyone (excluding me, Carter, and my dad) got the flu starting with my niece Jane, who had it for a few weeks, and went through the troops. There was a heck of a lot of vomiting going on. On top of the flu, my dad went into emergency with chest pains on the 23rd of December only to find out he had had a heart attack and needed to be flown up to Calgary for an angioplasty which he got on Christmas eve. He had one artery that was 100% blocked. Thankfully the surgery went really well and my brother Darren was able to go pick him up in Calgary Christmas day so that he could join us for the festivities. Our usual Christmas timetable was put on hold so that my dad could be with us for it all.

Of course there was plenty of good through the bad:


Aubrey and Jensen got to make and ice Christmas cookies with Auntie Cheryl before Darren and his clan arrived.




Grandpa Cahoon, Uncle Darren, and Uncle Jess took Alivia, Halle, Aubrey, and Jensen swimming (pre-surgery) while I sat on the sides with Carter and watched.


We did the usual painting of the Christmas cookies which is always a highlight!

One evening Darren, Erin, Alivia, Halle, Jane, Aubrey, Jensen, Carter, and I went to the live Nativity in Lethbridge even though it was freezing cold! Aubrey sure loved that! She sure had a lot of questions too!

Christmas eve was different. Those who can, usually go skiing/snowboarding and when the snowboarders get home we have our turkey dinner then a little program and of course open Christmas PJ's! My dad usually runs it all so skiing and the Christmas dinner was postponed. The program was still nice considering we were all so lost as to what we should do without my dad there to run the show.



Chris and the kids and I slept at our place in Lethbridge and then drove out bright and early Christmas morning to my parent's house to open stockings with everyone before Darren went to pick up my dad in Calgary. We waited for my dad to get home before we opened presents so that he could be there.

While we waited for my dad to arrive we went over to the Shurtz's to open gifts with them. We all got spoiled over there too! Of course I forgot my camera...


Jensen got so tired waiting for grandpa Cahoon to get home he curled up on the floor and fell asleep. When grandpa finally arrived we started opening presents. Jensen slept through a good portion of it!


Aubrey got her first round of the flu Christmas day and felt too tired and weak to even open presents. Poor girl.

We had the most delicious Christmas dinner after all the presents were opened and the playing was done.








On Boxing day we did Fish Pond! It's how grandpa and grandma Cahoon give their gifts out and it's a definite highlight.

After Fish Pond we went over to Chris' parents' house for the annual West Christmas party. It was so much fun full of yummy food, fun games, and good conversation. I had my camera this time but forgot to take pictures as I was too busy playing!

The 28th of December is Chris' birthday and that's the day the skiing/snowboarding happened. Everyone who went had a blast. I stayed home so that I could get Chris' birthday shopping done, take care of my kids, and help my parents watch Jane. Alivia got to go skiing with her parent's and Halle left with her other grandma. When the skiers got home we had some ice cream cake, Chris opened his presents, and Chris and I watched a movie.

The next day Chris was supposed to go snowboarding with his brother Tanner but Chris started his round with the flew and was dropped off at our house. He was sick for the next few days so I stayed out in Raymond! Our 5th anniversary was on the 30th but we didn't do anything because Chris was too sick to even get out of bed. Happy Anniversary to us!

New Years was really low key. Chris took Jensen to eat Chinese food with Chris' family and I took Aubrey and Carter out to Raymond for a very low key party with my parents, aunt Cindy and uncle Dean, Jess and Cheryl, and my cousin Wes. Darren and his crew had already left for Red Deer to party with Erin's family. We were sad to see them go!

With the new year we "welcomed" a really brutal cold for Carter, a very bad ear infection for Jensen, and a respiratory virus for Aubrey and a fever of 103 degrees. Thankfully I managed to keep in perfect health through it all.

So as fun as it was to be with family, it was one of those Christmas seasons that we weren't too sad to say bye to.

3 comments:

Kelli Olsen said...

I had no idea about your Dad. So scary. I'm glad everything worked out and he is doing well and got to spend Christmas day with you guys! Looks like an eventful Christmas!

Cheryl said...

It was very crazy indeed. Always so fun to spend the holidays with the Cahoons' though. I have the best in-law family EVER!

Amber said...

Whoa! Where have I been? Not looking at blogs, that is for sure! Your hair is so cute! Your kids are cute, and I can't wait to meet that cute little Carter in person!! How does July sound?