Tuesday, 14 September 2010

The Many Mishaps of J.R.S.

Since Jensen has started walking he has been very accident prone. Sometimes I worry that people are going to report me to child social services because my son is always covered in bumps and bruises!

Take this for example:


Quite a few months ago Jensen and Aubrey were running around a chair when Jensen tripped and hit his eye on the corner of the widow ledge. This picture is not 5 minutes after the incident! Poor boy...
Two days later:

Three days later:

Just today he fell of a kitchen stool and smoked his head on it and got a huge goose egg on his forehead. A couple months ago I let him sleep on a big bed and in his sleep he rolled off and his head fell in between the bed and the night stand and he just happened to hit his eye on the night stand which gave him a black eye once again and a long scratch from the corner of his eye to the corner of his mouth. Not long after that he decided to try to climb the dresser in his room and it fell over on top of him! Luckily the dresser hit on the bed so the weight of it wasn't completely on him. He was stuck under it but got away with just a little scrape and bruise on his leg from trying to get himself free.

Then there was his major illness back in mid December. It was probably the most terrifying day of my life. In the morning I could tell Jensen wasn't really himself. He had a fever and a runny nose, but I thought it was just due to teething and figured it was nothing to worry about. I took him and Aubrey to stay and play that morning and when we came home he was so tired I just put him straight down for a nap. It turned into an extremely long nap and I was about to check on him when he finally did let out a small cry. When I went to get him he was on his tummy, but his back was arched up, his arms, legs, and head were up, and he was completely stiff and staring off into space. That image of my sweet little boy will never leave my head. It sent me into hysterics. I picked him up and tried to get him to relax. He finally did after a few minutes and then he started to cry. He was so hot too! Chris wasn't home, but I phoned him and told him to come ASAP because something was wrong with Jensen. I then phoned my MIL who came and got me right away to get Jensen to the emergency and she took Aubrey back home with her. Jensen had an extremely high fever and they said it sounded like he had a fever induced seizure. They took Jensen to get X-Rays of his chest and then sent me to the clinic to see Dr. Smith. I had to wait a long time there and poor Jensen was just lethargic. Dr. Smith said that he had had a seizure which is "normal" in kids under 5 when they get such a high fever. The fever sends their little bodies into shock causing them to seizure and there is a chance it could happen again but it doesn't have a lasting affect on them (as in he won't have epilepsy or brain damage). As it turned out Jensen had pneumonia and an ear infection on top of his teething and Dr. Smith thought it also sounded like he may have H1N1. They didn't do any tests to be sure, but they put him on antibiotics and a drug specifically for the flu just in case. He also had to be quarantined for a week. So for that week Jensen and I just laid low while Chris and Aubrey stayed at Chris' parent's house. It was horrible. Jensen wasn't sleeping well for the first couple of nights and just wanted to be held all the time, day and night. Thankfully he was A-OK by Christmas and no one else got sick. To be honest I really don't think he had H1N1, but that's just me. It's better to be safe than sorry anyway.

At the beginning of August the kids and I went to the cabin with my parent's and my sister Amber and her kids. My dad, Porter, and my kids and I were the first to arrive. While I was unloading the car Aubrey and Jensen were playing with Porter. I walked by them with with a load of our stuff in my arms and I hear Aubrey say, "ow, ow!" and watched her brush something off her leg as she ran off. All of a sudden, Jensen starts screaming bloody murder! I look over at him to see him just swarmed by wasps! I drop my stuff and run for him, screaming as I do so, pick him up and try to brush the wasps off. They just clung on to him and kept biting! I got a couple of bites on my hand in the process. My dad came to the rescue and helped brush the last few off. Jensen was unfortunately wearing shorts and a t-shirt so he didn't have much protection. He had about 15-20 bites over his legs, arms, and head! It was horrible. It literally looked like the wasps had taken chunks out of his skin! If his shirt hadn't have been so thick it would have been even worse because when I picked him up there was a circle of at least 8 wasps in one spot on his back but they couldn't bite through his shirt. He cried for probably 1o minutes and then was back to his normal self. Luckily he didn't have a reaction especially considering we were in the states! It sure had a lasting affect on him though. If you ask him about any little scratch on him he will tell you, "wasp bite me!"

He's a tough little man, my Jensen, and it sure is a good thing!

9 comments:

Mason Clan said...

That is so sad!! It must be a boy thing because Carter is the same way. He always has some sort of battle wound or something..

KiraE said...

Oh my goodness poor little guy! Bella always has bruises on her legs, she runs into everything!

Francis Family said...

Poor kid!! He hasn't had it easy has he? There is nothing worse than seeing your child go through pain and you can't do anything for them. Glad everything turned out ok though.

I love reading all your updates! Glad your back blogging!

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

That's the scariest thing with kids: you never know when something is going to happen, because inevitably, it always does. Jensen just seems to get the worst of it! He is a tough kid!

ec said...

he is still dang cute, even with that shiner.

talk soon?

Ashley Smith said...

Oh woman?!?! He is such a sweet boy, and he has such a sweet mama I doubt anyone would ever question you. Sam had a permabruise on his head for 6 months and has had a few black eyes. The scarioest moments always invole babies. xoxox

kelsey said...

i love the black eye. as painful as they are, they still look cool! ha.

The Lowry's said...

Wow, what a tough guy he is. Bryce got a few wasp bites when he stepped in a nest last year but only got 4. They are awful. Talk about four times that many! Glad everything turns out okay each time.

Amber said...

Poor Jensen! I hope he doesn't scar that beautiful face too much!