Monday was another free day. We were supposed to be unloading a container full of dental equipment, 363 quilts, and boxes of new shoes that day but because of some issues the Rwandan government was having with what the container contained my dad had some more meetings to attend to to get that container into the country! Once the container was unloaded I was supposed to go with the humanitarian missionaries to deliver the blankets to a neonatal unit. None of that happened so Dr. Sorensen, Jenna, and I wandered the streets. We did some shopping, of course, and we visited KHI (Kigali Health Institute). It is one of the many clinics in Rwanda that my dad has helped update and where he and others teach the dental therapists.
At KHI with my friend the phantom. This is what the dental students learn on.That night we met up with my dad and went out for dinner at a delicious Indian restaurant. It was so good! It was there that I met some of the most amazing people. First there was Josee. She calls my parents her adoptive mom and dad and me her adoptive sister. I definitely love her that way and it didn't take long to do so. I also met Patrick who is my dad's right hand man over there. He is such a hard worker and a fantastic guy all around! Then there was Dan who is a carpenter from Edmonton. He got hooked up with my dad in Edmonton and built a false floor for the container so that they could load the dental equipment and prevent the equipment from getting wrecked. He volunteered to come to Rwanda to help when the container arrived. He is an amazing man and an incredibly hard worker. Bro. and Sis. Wilkes, humanitarian missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, were there as well. I had met them briefly at church the day before. They are such fantastic people as well. It was a fabulous evening with fabulous food, fabulous company and fabulous conversation. I was definitely feeling sad that it was my last night there.
Me with my adoptive sister, Josee. She had a gift for me
(a little basket with earrings in it) that I will treasure always!
The entire dinner group!
Back Row: Dad, Patrick, Dan, Bro. Wilkes
Front Row: Me (I will never understand why I get put in the front row! I am too tall!),
Josee, Dr. Sorensen, Jenna, and Sis. Wilkes
Dad, Josee, Me, and patrick. My Rwandan family!The next morning was a tough one. I had to say my goodbyes to Dr. Sorensen and Jenna. They were off to do an outreach. I was off to KHI with my dad for the opening of the container and then I was off to the airport. When we got to KHI I helped Josee organize parts of the clinic for the new equipment. I got to hear a bit of her life story and a bit of her experience during the genocide. What a strong and amazing person she is.
Finally we were able to open the container. This was the main purpose for the trip and it finally happened! I was amazed at how quickly the container was unloaded. For a little more info on the happenings to some of the objects in the container go
here. It's pretty amazing stuff. I'm so sad I missed it.
Dan opening the container!
The unloading of the container.Then it was time for more goodbyes. That was so hard. Especially to say goodbyes to Bro. and Sis. Wilkes, Patrick, and Josee. It's amazing how sometimes you meet some people that you swear you have known before and you just love them instantly. It was like that for me with these people. I still miss them. I can't wait to go back and be with them again. Someday...
Goodbye to Patrick.
My dad dropped me off at the Kigali airport and I was off for my eventful ride home. Eventful as in almost not getting to leave Uganda, getting a seat reassignment by the lady next to me, and meeting a fabulous girl from South Africa that I became insta-friends with! As much as I miss Africa, it is nice to be back with my little family that I really did miss so much.
2 comments:
We're glad you're back too! It has been fun to read about your trip to Africa in segments. I feel like I was right there with ya! You have the most gorgeous smile by the way.
I'm sad the adventure's over...what an amazing trip.
Post a Comment