I was able to go to another school to do an outreach this time with Dr. Sorensen and Jenna. We joined two PHDOs named Dennis and John Bosco. This time the oral hygiene instruction was given to the entire school and they treated us with a singing of their national anthem. It was so neat. I have it on video, but blogger won't upload it...
The kids at this school were so beautiful too. I just didn't get to spend as much time with them like I did at the other school. I got to watch a group of kids in gym class playing with their banana fiber jump ropes. I also got to watch a kindergarten class eating their lunch outside. It was their classroom that we took over to do the work.
Some of the beautiful Kindergarteners
Waiting for some dental work
Gym class. I so remember playing this game in elementary school.
I don't think we ever got the ropes that high though...
The next day was another free day as my dad had already left for Rwanda. Dr. Sorensen was kind enough to take Jenna and I to the Mulago hospital so that we could see the dental school my dad built. It was so surreal to see it in person after hearing so much about it. We got to talk to some of the professors and wander around the school. Some of the equipment is still the older stuff but a lot of it was really new, better than a lot of the equipment you see here in the west!
New dental chairs
Old x-ray. If I had to get an x-ray from that I would be scared of going to the dentist too!
After we were done at the dental school we wandered around the rest of the hospital. My mom had made 2 blankets for me to give to a couple of new mothers in need so we thought it would be best if I went to a neonatal unit and give the blankets to the mothers myself. After meeting with some head honchos and whatnot I was finally able to go to the neonatal unit. The head nurse there picked two mothers that she felt would benefit most from the blankets. It was such a beautiful experience. The women were amazing and the babies so sweet and tiny. I think the biggest baby I saw was maybe 5lbs...

Beautiful mom #1 and babe.
She didn't speak or understand English but I could tell she was grateful.

Beautiful mom #1 and babe.
She didn't speak or understand English but I could tell she was grateful.
Beautiful mom #2 and babe. See how tiny?
Giving those blankets was another highlight for me. Those women and babes are so sweet. I just wish I had more to give. More blankets and more time.
When we were done at the hospital Jenna and I went to a local salon and spent 4 hours getting our hair braided! It was fun but it hurt really bad. I had to take some Advil for a couple of days until the braids loosened up a bit. Jenna, with my help, ended up taking hers out that very night. As many as she could anyway. It took almost as long to take them out as it did to get them in!
It was our last night in Rwanda and we got kicked out of our nice rooms and put in the back of the guest house where there are no emergency generators for when the power goes out. We did get kerosene lamps just in case though!
When we were done at the hospital Jenna and I went to a local salon and spent 4 hours getting our hair braided! It was fun but it hurt really bad. I had to take some Advil for a couple of days until the braids loosened up a bit. Jenna, with my help, ended up taking hers out that very night. As many as she could anyway. It took almost as long to take them out as it did to get them in!
It was our last night in Rwanda and we got kicked out of our nice rooms and put in the back of the guest house where there are no emergency generators for when the power goes out. We did get kerosene lamps just in case though!

5 comments:
Wow ash. What an adventure! It is wonderful how much good your family is doing for the people over there.
you look BEAUTIFUl in the pictures with the new mom's. You can tell you are really really happy!
All the pictures are amazing.
i have loved looking at all of these pictures with your commentary. and i agree with kirstin ... you do look happy happy in those pictures. beautiful!
wow Ash. Looks like you had a pretty incredible experience! The pictures are amazing to look through!
I am so thankful to read about this adventure you went on. I knew your Dad had been doing humanitarian work over in Africa, but I had no idea how it had grown. This is really amazing, and I love that you got to go and share a little part of it. And I also have to agree with Erin and the others that you look so beautiful and happy. Merry Christmas, Ash!
Post a Comment