Thursday, 22 November 2007

Vaccinations

Aubrey got her first set of vaccines today. It's a little late, I know. We waited until we got home from Toronto to start them (which I found out today was a very wise idea according to the nurse) and after we got back I did the usual me thing: procrastinate. I now wish I hadn't. Apparently it's not as bad when they are younger. I went out to Raymond to get them done because it is a shorter wait (one month in comparison to two for Lethbridge) and I basically do everything else in Raymond. That's where Aubrey's doctor is anyway. I was trying not to give off a nervous vibe as we sat waiting for the actual giving of the needles so that Aubrey would stay calm. She was happy, as usual, and was very infatuated with the nurse. Stared and Smiled. It was pretty cute. And then came the needles. Three of them. Aubrey WAILED. I have NEVER heard her cry like that and I felt awful. I was trying not to cry along with her. She's a brave little soldier. After it was all done she seemed to be fine. Then we got home. She seemed just a little cranky so I put her down for a nap. She cried for about 15 min (which is very unusual) but I sucked it up and waited for her to sleep. She needed her afternoon nap. When she woke up an hour and a half later she was still cranky and wouldn't eat. Then she began to cry. Not just a whiny cry but a loud and in pain sort of cry. It basically matched the one right after getting the needles. Once again I felt horrible. I could not console her and she wouldn't even go to Chris without getting more upset (which is also unusual as he is very much her favorite person). I have found a way to lay her and she is now a little happier, finally, but I still can't pick her up without the crying starting up all over again. Stupid vaccinations...

6 comments:

ec said...

grrr..i hate vaccinations.

Jon, Wendy, Riley, Chris, and Jo said...

uummm....not so fun times.

The Lowry's said...

Awful! Try giving her any tylenol? Always worked for Jaycie. Maybe try giving her some just before hand next time....if you want. I hate vaccinations too. Its hard to see your little one endure pain.

Anonymous said...

I HATE VACCINATIONS!!! So much that I made Ryan take them. Hope Aubrey is doing better now!

ehjenn said...

Hey. I just saw that you had left me a comment. It was fun to see you there too. That was my first week but my 3 yr old has been telling everyone she is in school now so we will probably keep going. Hope you come too. Also, yes, vaccinations suck. Just face her at the nurse and then she will be mad at her and not at you. She is so cute. Love her grin.

Mindi said...

Aw...I also hate vaccinations, especially when they DOUBLE-TEAM them! Every time so far 2 nurses have tag-teamed and got him twice at once. Poor little things. But, they are worth it.