It's probably not good to have two negative posts in a row, but it looks as though it's going to be that way...
Today was seriously one of the roughest days ever and has left me feeling completely exhausted. The morning started out the same as most but at about noon I got a phone call from the health clinic reminding me that I was behind on Jensen's vaccines and that I should probably get them done as soon as possible as there has been an outbreak of... something... (I can't remember what she said it was) in Lethbridge. So as I am leaving for Red Deer on the 27th(ish) I asked what was open this month. My choices? Today at 2:40 or the 30th. Obviously my only option was today. So it was a scramble to get the kids fed and packed up and ready to go. I got out to Raymond to get them done. I guess it's just an excuse to go visit my parents. The vaccinations themselves were pretty horrible as they always are. I absolutely hate holding my little baby down while he is being stabbed in the leg with needles. I hate the way he cries and the way he looks at me, wondering how I could let the mean lady do this to him. It breaks my heart every time. Then there was Aubrey. She hadn't had a nap and was apparently feeling sensitive towards her brother and joined in on the crying. She kept saying "Jensen! Owie!" Through her tears. It really wasn't helping my frazzled state. I was hoping she would be the strong one. Ha! Once it was over, Jensen was able to calm down after a little bit of comforting. So we waited in the waiting room for the usual 15 minutes afterward. Aubrey played on the little slide while I filled out a questionnaire on Jensen's development and Jensen sat on the bench next to me and played with some toys. At one point he dropped his toy and went to reach for it and as he did he bonked his head on the wooden arm rest which set him off again. It wasn't so bad, but he was already sad so this didn't help. After I was done with the questionnaire, I decided to weigh and measure Jensen. I got him weighed (22lbs 15oz) and moved him over to the table to start measuring him. I finished measuring him (28.5") and looked away for a split second to make sure Aubrey was doing okay and then write the number down and as I reached over to keep my had on Jensen so he wouldn't roll, he did just that, rolled, and fell right off the table. I have no idea what I was thinking! I clearly wasn't because I know he's a roller, I know not to look away for even a second when a baby is on an elevated surface... and I felt sick to my stomach. I still do. I have never felt so awful about anything in my entire life! Of course I picked him up immediately and cuddled him, but he was inconsolable for a good 10 minutes. I was close to tears and I would have cried then and there had there been fewer people in the room. Thankfully he landed mostly on his body and not on his head and thankfully there were nurses around and thankfully he doesn't appear to have a concussion. I honestly feel like the worst mom in the world. One of the ladies there just said that as hard as it is, I shouldn't feel too badly because every mom has done it or something like unto it.
I spent the rest of the afternoon with my mom, which was great, but Aubrey was being a pill. No naps just don't work out for her. I was having a hard time keeping patient because I was so frazzled from everything and I just felt so worn out already. It felt so good to get the kids home and in bed at the end of the day. What was even nicer was coming home to a clean house. Chris cleaned everything up while I was gone. What a great hubby. Now I just need to take a nice walk out in the fresh air.
Thursday, 16 April 2009
A Really Rough Day...
Posted by Ashley at 19:34
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
aw, ash. don't feel too bad. norah has fallen off the couch and a high bed. you feel terrible as the mom, but babies are so resilient. sorry you had a rough day, have a good night and wake up to a new one tomorrow!
The only reason I get shots done is because i know how much worse I would feel if they got sick. They even gave me free shots in the states because I was bawling so hard about having to get them done. I sent Trevor this last time (3 months late) for Sams shot because I just couldn't. and if it is any consolation he had a bruise on the middle of his head for over a week from falling off the kitchen table (my on going battle). Lots of Tylenol and cuddles make everything better (especially for Mom).
I feel for ya! I think we've all had crap days like that, it's not fun at all! I hate shots, i think i cry just as much as the kids do. It's awful! Hang in there!!!! Seriously, as i was reading, i kept thinking, ugh, totally been there, and it sucks!!!
ya i tried getting angies shots first (5 shots) then hannahs, holy.freking.moly never again. they both got fevers as well. also hannah rolled off our couch onto our floor (which is pretty much cement) when she was 3 weeks old, i was HYSTREIC, so i totally know how you feel. the thing that helped me was the nurse said her mother dropped her inbetween the toliet and the sink when she was 1 month old nd she was top of her nursing class and really pretty to boot!
Aw i'm sorry you had to have such a rough day. I hate those. It definately is worth it to do those shots, so good for you for going through that, cuz trust me it's tough! I hate watching them get hurt and then it's not even once they poke them, it's 3 times! I have to go through it with BOTH babies everytime and that is sad. As for your accident, I also did that a few months ago when the girls stil went in the swing. Well it's missing one screw so it kind of wobbles a tiny bit, anyways Presley just woke up and I brought her downstairs and set her in the swing for like 2 seconds to lock the back door after Dustin left for work (like 5 steps away) and she rolled out and fell and bashed her head on the pole of the swing and her head instantly turned blue where she hit. I was devastated! I also felt like the worst mom in the world and I kept thinking, I should of known, how dumb can I be! But she was fine after a decent brusing. We have all definately made mistakes like that, but i'm sure it didn't help there were a ton of people there. At least he is ok and just think, tomorrow is a new day. Keep smilin your doing great!
Oh Ash im so sorry that had to be tough seeing him go through all that in one visit! But you are a GREAT mom! I hate days like that when you feel like you are so helpless! At least you got to end the day with your mom that had to be fun!!!
Ash - those days are SO crappy. Hopefully today is just awesome! (Then again, you could be like me and have a miserable baby. Brenna got her shots yesterday as well. She is c-r-a-n-k-y.)
P.S. You know a heck of a lot of Smith's. That's cool.
Hey, see? Everyone has those days and drops their kids. (This sounds sarcastic, but I am meaning to sound sympathetic. :) I think I cried the hardest when Porter fell from the top of the stairs all the way to the bottom at 10 months...aweful. They have guardian angels, I am telling you!
well at 5 months, I dropped Jet on his face on cement stairs. Then a few months later he fell of the bed. and then a few weeks ago, he fell on the tramp and smacked his nose on the bar. That one was bloody. So DONT feel bad. It happens and it will be the least of whats to come. Especially with little boys! I dont know how my mother in law raised 3 of them! haha
yup. everybody has those days ... glad to hear you do too;)
oh, and come visit. days always go better when you're on a holiday;)
Shots are the worst!! I dread them. Gracie fell off the couch once and honestly had a dent on her head for the first day, then it turned into a nice purple goose egg. ugh I felt so bad! I think you are an amazing mom by the way!!
we all have those days! Good thing there is always tomorrow right? shots are awful. Good luck on your move. Any takers on your condo? Good thing for a thoughtful husband. Made a better end to a awful day. We all have them, you aren't alone.
oh my heck, ash! you are an amazing mother! but i am so sorry you had such a rough day! :( :(
if it makes you feel any better at all...wilson rolled off a bed at 2 months somehow and dropped 4 feet to the ground, and as soon as he started to crawl he fell down the flight of stairs at my mom's old house and only hit one on the way down! ha.
happy belated birthday by the way!!! i hope you had a fabulous day!!
Those shots are nasty! Just a month ago Lola was due, and I made up my mind that I was sending Tyler- I just couldn't do it. But as they were leaving house she started crying for me, and I caved and ran out to the car. The poor thing knew exactly what was going on, she started saying, "no pinch, no pinch!" I felt awful! Also, once when Lola was like four months I put her in her car seat to carry her up stairs but didn't buckle her in because I was going to change her before we left the house.... when I got upstairs she arched her back and flipped out onto her stomach! I felt awful! Thankfully she was fine but I felt totally sick. Those things happen though... we're all learning! Your an awesome Mom Ash! Oh and that bib is a Joe bib, my Mom got it at Extra Foods a while ago, but maybe they'd have it at Super Store!
aww that so sucky when moms have those days. I used to let Gavin nap on your bed and one day of course... he fell off. Even though they are little and so sweet i think they can handle more than we think. lol. but your definately not a bad mom. I hate those shots. every time i want to cry with him. well i hope that day got better!
Post a Comment