I sure do!
I have mentioned before that Carter is a puker. And I don't mean those little spit ups here and there. No, he pukes a lot, like, projectile vomits, almost every time I nurse him. Jensen was the same way but for some reason I didn't really worry about it so much. I just figured it was genetics as one of my brothers had the same problem when he was a baby. With Carter, I was really starting to worry and getting a little frustrated, the truth be told. Chris and I seriously thought that this boy had reflux. So at his 6 week doctor's appointment I talked to my doctor about it. Carter was weighed and he weighed 12lbs 13.5oz which is at the top of the 95th percentile. He is doing really well with his weight gain so Dr. Steed said he highly doubted it was reflux as babies with reflux don't gain weight very well. So I told Dr. Steed that I thought that maybe Carter was swallowing too much air or something as when he nurses he is always gasping for breath, chocking, and constantly pulling off and fussing. Dr. Steed said it sounded like I am producing TOO MUCH milk for him and that it may just be coming out too fast for Carter as well. It's funny because most moms that are having a hard time with nursing have the opposite problem and I'm definitely grateful that I am at least producing enough for him. Now I get to go to a lactation consultant to figure out what I can do to help Carter not puke so much. Hopefully we can figure something out.
Monday, 29 November 2010
Got Milk?
Posted by Ashley at 19:31
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I seriously have the same problem. I have met with lactation consultants and they told me to feed my baby leaning back so that gravity is working against my milk because it comes out so much so fast. They also told me to express some before my baby nurses so that the flow is a little slower when the baby latches and starts to eat. Good luck.
Bella was the same way when my milk first came in... They told me to pump off a little so it wasn't so full. I also fed her from a little cup if she had been sleeping for a long time and was starving so that she didn't suck too much in making her puke. I hope he gets grows out of it, I can' remember how long it lasted... Good luck!
i had that exact same problem with brooklyn. it was horrible. she would puke EVERYWHERE. EVERYTIME i nursed her. my milk would just pour out and brooklyn would choke and it would just get everywhere. its so frustrating! i'm sorrry! i hope you can figure something out. my let down was way too fast.. i tried pumping before and nothing helped. it lasted for at least 4 months for me :(
My sister's baby was exactly like that, and really fussy. Turned out she was lactose intolerant. So maybe that's an option? Although she didn't gain weight. So I don't know. Good luck!
ditto to what amy said. I had to practically lay down with Scarlett at first, and when my milk let down I would pull her off and let some leak out for a bit. It helped. I also took her off every few minutes to burp, which makes the feedings a lot longer, but it helped a lot.
It doesn't last forever!
I have the same problem with nicholas. He puked all the time and I get so frustrated. I've tried several things like leaning back and burping him a lot during the feeding. Nothing seems to be working. Make sure you post what the lactation lady says so I can get some tips too!! Good luck. Hopefully this pukey baby thing ends soon!!
Post a Comment