Kampala Serena Hotel
*Image from http://www.concierge.com/tools/travelawards/hotlist/2007/hotels/africamiddleeast/11408
We finished our safari in a day when we were supposed to take 2 days so we drove back to Kampala early. Dr. Sorensen, Jenna, and I got to have a free day to explore a bit of the city. We went to a craft market and bought some souvenirs and that evening we had dinner at the nicest hotel I have ever been in in my entire life. It's called the Serena. Beautiful. My dad had business to attend to so I didn't see him until after dinner.*Image from http://www.concierge.com/tools/travelawards/hotlist/2007/hotels/africamiddleeast/11408
That night I was able to meet a man that my father really respects and really wanted me to meet. His name is Sam and he is the Imam (an Islamic leader) of the mosque at Mekerere University. It was definitely a unique experience and one I'll never forget. Because of religious beliefs he wouldn't shake my hand which I completely respect. He mostly talked to my dad and if he had any questions for me he would ask my dad but when he did start talking to me the first thing he asked me directly was what my profession was. I told him that I am a mom. His response? "That's not a profession, now, is it?" I was kind of taken aback and I think my dad was too. My dad jumped right in and explained my life story and told him that I was planning on going back to school once my children are a little order (which is true). I now understand a little more why he reacted that way. In Uganda they are really trying to encourage women to get an education and to not get married so young as it really does help the country a lot. I think that Sam was also surprised that the daughter of dentist didn't go on to become a dentist or something. I walked away from that conversation a little bemused and more determined than ever to go back to school.
The next day is the day that was my favorite day. I was actually supposed to go to a zoo and some sort of botanical garden with Jenna and Dr. Sorensen while my dad went to a school in Masaka to do an outreach. Dr. Sorensen said that he really wanted to take Jenna to one of the villages to do an outreach as that is what they were there for. I told my dad that I would love to just go with him and do an outreach as well so that was what we did. I am so glad we did. What a beautiful experience.
Sights of Uganda on the way to Masaka:
We had a pretty long drive to Masaka. We even crossed the equator! On the way my dad briefed me on what we were going to be doing and what he expected me to do. He even taught me how to mix Fuji IX (a glass ionomer cement that is used for fillings in the program) so that I would be able to assist if needed. We met up with 3 PHDOs (Public Health Dental Officers) named Resty, Dorothy, And Eroni and then we went to the school together. It was a primary school which includes their equivalent of kindergarten through grade 6.
What made this my favorite day? The children at the school were amazing. When we arrived the entire school called for an assembly. As the kids walked by us everyone of them wanted to touch me and my dad, give us high fives or whatever. I actually started to get emotional because of the beautiful energy these kids gave off.
The P6 Class awaiting their instruction.
After a few brief words from a teacher, most of the children were sent back to their classes. Only the Primary 6 class (12-13 years-old) stayed to have the instruction on oral hygiene. The PHDOs gave the instruction and the kids were so great and attentive. When they were asked a yes or no question they would all answer together. It was beautiful. They were so smart too.Resty giving some hands on learning.
This girl simply stood out. She had a million dollar smile.
My little friend.
She left the group to come say hi to me and hardly left my side for the rest of the day.
I wish I could have brought her home with me.
Eroni performing the initial checkups.

Eroni starting a filling. This is how the work is done.

My dad assisting Dorothy.
The children loved the camera too. I was the unofficial photographer for the day so I took a lot of pictures of the kids and would show them the image on the screen after. I just love how it blew them away that they could see themselves and their friends on that little screen. Apparently I was causing too much of an uproar with the kids so my dad sent me out to play with the kids so that he and the PHDOs could work in peace. This was the absolute highlight of the day! I had the kids give me a tour of their school and I asked them a lot of questions and then would tell them what it was like back home. Some of the things I told them made them laugh like it was so unbelievable. We started out with a small group of kids and then the group just kept getting bigger and bigger. I loved asking them yes/no questions because I loved how they answered in unison. Even writing about it puts a smile on my face. They showed me their football (soccer) fields and I watched a few of them play. The ball they use is made of leaves from banana trees that are tied together because the school can't afford a real soccer bad. There was a basketball court too but I didn't see anyone playing on it. I don't think they had a basketball either.Eroni starting a filling. This is how the work is done.
My dad assisting Dorothy.
They also showed me where they ate lunch which was basically a giant car port. My mom told me that at one of the schools she went to she was heartbroken because she watched as some of the kids just looked on as their school mates ate lunch because their families couldn't afford to send them a lunch or pay for the one that's provided at the school. I didn't witness anything like that but I do know it's not rare.
I am so sad this picture is blurry. It's still my fave.
Another thing that really bothered me was when my dad explained to me why some of the girls were wearing sweaters even though it's very hot and very humid. When a girl reaches puberty and starts... blossoming, instead of giving her a bra, she is given a sweater to cover up. That just made me so sad for them. It's already an awkward enough time for a girl. Most of them can't afford bras and I don't think many people think of that as something to send over. I know I didn't. I really wish I could just send over some sports bras or something.The kids had to go back to class and it was time for my dad and I to head back to Kampala. I was so sad to say goodbye. I really wanted to take some of the kids home with me.
On the way home we stopped at the equator because we could! We got to watch a demonstration where they showed us how on one side of the equator the water drains one way and on the other side it drains in the opposite direction and when you are directly over the equator it drains straight down instead of swirling. I have heard that it is a trick and if it is, it is a good one! The guy had me convinced!
When we got back to Kampala my dad had our driver drop us off at the bus depot so that my dad could buy a ticket for his trip to Rwanda. When we were done getting the ticket my dad took me to the real market where the real shopping is done. He wanted me to really experience life in Uganda. It was nuts! And my dad said that it wasn't as busy as it usually is. I simply haven't seen that many people in an area in my entire life! And I have been to some pretty major cities around the world including New York, Paris, London, and Rome so that's saying something! The traffic in Kampala is crazy everywhere and there really aren't any traffic rules that made sense to me anyway but the traffic was even crazier in this area! We walked along the shops and in some of the shops. I wish I had taken some pictures here because words just can't describe. The buildings were just jammed full of stuff. Once we got out of the craziness we jumped on separate boda bodas. Boda Boda is what they call their street bikes. It means "border to border" and it was how the people used to smuggle things across the country. They are actually pretty dangerous to ride as they also follow no traffic rules and weave in and out of traffic. I was nervous at first but it was actually so fun and I'm so glad I got to try it. My dad gave the drivers very specific instructions and even over paid them to ensure that I would be kept safe! I love my dad! We went to a Chinese food restaurant that was actually really good. I typically HATE Chinese food so that's saying something.
After our Dinner we decided to walk back to the guest house. It was a long walk in the dark but it was another experience to be had! There are no street lights so if there were no shops that were lit up, it was very dark. Being a pedestrian is dangerous enough during the day. I think it's gets even more dangerous at night. The power went out (parts of the city alternate what days they get electricity so if you have it on Monday, you won't have it on Tuesday) and not every store had a backup generator so that made it even more dark. My dad stopped at a salon to get his hair cut. He has gotten his hair cut a few times before and the one barber even recognized him.
There was yet another sight that broke my heart. As we were walking there were little children sitting on the street begging for money. Because their skin is so dark you can't even see them in the dark! It's amazing that they don't get trampled! There is no mother in sight either. My dad told me that he won't give them money at night because he doesn't want their mother to think that what they are doing is working in hopes that she won't send them out at night anymore. Desperation is awful.
It really was such a great day. An adventure in and of itself. When I go back to Africa I want to just go to all the schools I can and do what I can to help. There is nothing like it!

5 comments:
Ashley!! Cool experience!
Ash - I've LOVED reading about your trip. I love you and your family. What you are all doing is amazing. Life changing. Thanks for writing about it!
Loved reading all the parts of your adventure!! Can I go with your dad one day? And go see Wendy & her family too? Ok, great! And also: don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about being "just a mom". No other occupation is more demanding! You get to be a doctor, dentist, vet, psychologist, chef, mechanic, landscaper, seamstress, janitor, and so many other things. Most importantly, you get to be with your kids through ups and downs, developments and challenges, laughs and tears. I definitely support getting an education and as many degrees as you want, but being a mom is the most important thing you can do a good job at. This kind of turned into a lecture & I definitely don't mean it that way. And it's sort or coming out of no where b/c I think this is the first time I've commented on your blog! Anyway - you're great! I'm so jealous and happy for you that you got to go on this amazing adventure!
~Hilary (Drewry)
I can see why this was your favorite day! Those kids are darling. I loved reading all about your trip and getting the smaller details. So glad you had such an amazing experience, but even happier to have you back!
Very cool, Ashley! So..I have to be a grouch here, but yikes! Not a fan of Sam...dad should have defended the importance we put on being a mother. Just the kind of arrogant attitude I can't wait to experience again when I move to snobby Boston...good old north east. At least they think they are awesome. Wow, who got up on the wrong side of the bed today? :)
Post a Comment