Saturday, 11 August 2012

NB Museum


We live quite close to the New Brunswick Museum and since I first saw it, I really wanted to go. Today was cloudy, rainy, and downright dismal so it seemed like the perfect day to take the kiddos. Since it is quite close and I hate driving in uptown Saint John and parking costs a fortune we walked. The kiddos had their gum boots on and their hoodies (even though it was way too humid for hoodies) and splashed in the puddles all along the way. We spent a good 4 hours at the museum learning about ship building (that was the main industry for New Brunswick back in the early 19th century, up until ships started to be made out of metal), different kinds of whales (did you know it is impossible for any kind of whale to swallow a person? Don't worry, Aubrey let them know that a whale did swallow a person once, his name was Jonah!), and art. The kids even got to make their own little boats at a craft area and put on a puppet show. I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the museum (I took a few before I found out... oops!), but believe me, we had a blast! The kids ran from display to display telling me to "look at this!" and "look at that!" but they didn't give me time to read anything. Next time. The best part of it all? The kiddos were nice and tuckered out when we got home and went to bed beautifully.

Puddle Jumping all the way there!

Aubrey with her favorite figurehead - the thing that was put on the front of the ship

The kiddos with the Marco Polo - the fastest ship of it's time built right here in New Brunswick

The Whale exhibit

Hanging out outside the Museum when we were done

2 comments:

Kelli Olsen said...

ha ha ha...I love Aubrey telling them about Jonah. Good for her.

Mom C. said...

That looks like a really fun day !! Counting down the days until you are here as well, but good that you are making everyday awesome there!!