Monday, 31 December 2012

2012 - Some Things I Missed

September 22 - The Bonfire with Gma & Gpa Cahoon

 While we were gone over the summer my parents got their back yard put together. They created a yard that is beautiful, relaxing, and fun for the grandkids. They even included a fire pit! And because my parents know that I really love having a bonfire and wiener/marshmallow roast and really hate that I miss having them over the summer, they put one together for the kids and I!

 Jensen showed off his mad trampoline skills.

 Grandpa taught Aubrey and Jensen how to chop fire wood.

 The kids enjoyed all the fun things that there are to do in Gma & Gpa's backyard.

 We roasted hot dogs and played games...

 (Jensen does not like meat, bread, or cheese so he definitely won't touch a hotdog. He mostly survives on fruits and vegetables and nuts. I personally don't think it's a bad thing.)


 
 We enjoyed our yummy food and s'mores...


 And we enjoyed each others company.


September 28 - Waterton with the Pennys

The most exciting news of the fall was that Wendy, Riley, Christopher, and Jonah Penny moved home from the United Arab Emirates. They moved there when Aubrey was 2 months old (which means they had been there for over 5 years) so none of my kids knew their cousins or their Aunt and Uncle. Sadly, Jon had to stay in the UAE to finish up the school year as he teaches at a university over there. We can't wait until he gets to join the rest of his family permanently!

 Just a couple of days after the Pennys arrived we headed to Waterton and enjoyed a beautiful day together. It had been quite a while since I had been there - it was Carter's first time - but it had been even longer for the Pennys of course!

 True to Waterton form, it was quite windy.

 The group (minus Wendy - one day we'll get you in a picture!) Riley, me, Christopher, Grandpa, Jensen, Jonah, Aubrey, Carter, and Jensen.

 We "hiked" up to view Cameron Falls...



And all the kids got a turn on grandpa's street bike.

We also threw rocks into the lake, got ice cream from the Big Scoop, did some wandering, and hiked up red rock. We were all well worn out after our fun filled afternoon.

I am so thankful that Wendy and her boys have moved home. It has been so great to become close to them again and for my kids to get to know their cousins. Aubrey, Jensen, and Carter sure do love them!

October 20

Wendy, Christopher, Jonah, and my kiddos and I decided to head up to the Calgary temple open house. I'm so glad that we did. Even if Carter was loud and rambunctious through the quiet temple. I hope that at least Aubrey and Jensen got something out of it. It sure is a beautiful temple and the feeling of being there, even before it is dedicated to the Lord, is so peaceful and beautiful.

When we were done at the open house we got to fit in some shopping and visit and eat with some of my (&Wendy's) cousins that we don't get to see very often. Another really great day.

Halloween

I still have not been able to get a hold of some of the pictures taken around Halloween as most of them weren't taken by me. I really need to learn to take more pictures. We did attend a party with some of the Shurtz cousins. My kids had so much fun showing off their costumes, playing spooky bingo, making crafts, popping balloons to get some prizes, eating lots of treats, and just running around being kids. I seriously feel so lucky to have married into such a great family and living close to them so that we can get together quite regularly.

We carved pumpkins this year which was a first for us! Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of them, of course. They turned out pretty cute and the kids had so much fun carving them. We even roasted the pumpkin seeds which were delicious! At least I thought so. 

This year I attempted to make Halloween sugar cookies. Truth be told, my sister made the dough because I ran out of time, but I did roll the dough, cut out the cookies, bake them, made the icing, and decorated them. I think they turned out quite cute! I really should get into baking more. I know my kids would love and appreciate it!

Pumpkins, cats, ghosts, and bats!

Aubrey was in the school costume parade so Carter, Jensen and I went to watch.

This is the best picture I could get of her as she walked by. She is one cute little witch!

The kids had so much fun trick-or-treating with their dad who dressed up with them! He was all decked out in army cammo and carried around his air-soft gun as the final touch. Jensen was Darth Maul and Carter was a cute little tiger. Maybe someday I will get some pictures from this Halloween for proof... 
As usual, the kids got way too much candy!

Christmas Time

Early in December (December 7th to be exact) I took the kids to the "Old Fashioned Christmas" here in town. We all had so much fun it will probably become a Christmas tradition for us. At least for as long as we live here. We had hot chocolate and doughnuts, went on a hay ride, got animal balloons, made crafts, got gifts from the "wish pond", waited in a few LONG lines, froze our tails off, and of course got to see SANTA!

 The long line was worth it.

Uncle Jon was able to come home for the Christmas holidays! So Aubrey, Jensen, and Carter finally got to meet him! We were so glad that he was here - I know his wife and boys were the most glad. My kids really came to love Jon. He truly is a lot of fun!

On December 15 we went to our ward's brunch with Santa! Another fun activity that the kids and I love to attend.

Carter wasn't terrified of him this year like he was last year!


Christmas Eve is kind of a blur. We were wanting to attend the live Nativity but it was supposed to be minus 30 with the wind chill (or something crazy like that) and none of us really felt like braving that kind of cold. Especially considering Carter had been sick. We did open our Christmas Eve PJ's and had a few stories and poems read and then it was back home and off to bed for my little crew. 


Santa came and the kids woke up and were ready to get going! They were so anxious that they even tried to start without us!




 Stockings first! One at a time!

 Once Carter pulled his horses out of his stocking, he didn't really care what else he got. I'm pretty sure they are still his favorite toy.

 Aubrey opening her present from Santa - A "Loving Family" Dollhouse!

 Jensen got two Hot Wheels wall tracks from Santa.

 And then Carter's turn! Santa brought him a cozy coupe (or a Fred Flinstone car as I like to call them). He was happy with his horses.



Each kid got to open a gift that was for the whole family from Chris and I. They were so happy to get Duplo Lego, Encyclopedia Britannica books & reading pen, and Memory!

I have simply loved having Christmas morning with just our little family. It's just so much more relaxed and we can go at our own pace. As soon as we were done we went back over to my parents to have a very delicious breakfast!

Later that day the D'Erin Cahoon clan joined us for a delicious Turkey dinner and Fish pond! Fish pond is how the Cahoon Grandparents give their Christmas presents to their children/grandchildren. My grandpa Cahoon used to do it for us, and my dad's grandpa Cahoon used to do it for him and his family. The tradition may go even farther back but I'm not 100% sure. Either way, I love the fish pond tradition.

Carter's Turn:


 Jensen's Turn:

 (Jensen and one of his most favorite friends, his cousin, Jane. These two are quite the pair)

Aubrey's Turn:


Chris' Turn:

I got a turn too but  no one took a picture of it! The story of my life since motherhood!

The next two days we spent down at my parents' cabin to do some snowboarding at Blacktail Mountain. It's a lot cheaper than Whitefish and was actually pretty decent. The first day on the hill I didn't even get to do a single run because my nephew, Christopher, broke his collar bone at pretty much the top of the hill (it was his first time snowboarding) and I volunteered to stay with him. I'm not complaining, I would do it again in a heart beat, I'm just stating the facts. The poor kid looked like he was in so much pain. Through some miracles I was able to get him to his parents in Kalispell (after quite a bit of panic that I couldn't get a hold of them) and they drove the 3.5 hour drive home to Raymond to take him to the ER there. 

Day 2 on the hill (for everyone else, day 1 for me) was uneventful in the sense that no one got seriously injured! I spent my day with Chris and Jan (pronounced Yawn - he's a Rotary exchange student from Switzerland). It had been about 3 years since the last time I had been snowboarding and I am pleased to report that it slowly came back to me and I had a blast! A big thanks to my mom and dad who paid for our ski passes AND watched our kids!

December 28th was Chris' 29th birthday! We did nothing to celebrate... Love you though, babe!

On December 29th I got a new sister-in-law! Tanner (Chris' younger brother) married Christine. We just love her and are thankful she agreed to marry Tanner. Just kidding! They are a beautiful couple and their wedding day was beautiful.

December 30th Chris and I celebrated our 7th Anniversary! To celebrate, we did absolutely nothing. At least nothing out of the usual. Maybe next year we will make up for it. 

New Years eve we partied with my parents and Jess and Cheryl. We ate lots of food and treats, did puzzles, played Rook, and watched Elf. It's a definitely favorite. It was a fun night! It always is with the Cahoons!

And that brings us to 2013! Happy New Year!

4 comments:

kelsey said...

oh my gosh. that picture of carter holding up/inspecting his s'more is the best thing ever. freaking adorable little face!!!

Christmas at home with your little family is so nice. I loved ours this year. 7 years. It seems like just a few days ago I saw you at my bridal shower . . . and you told me you wouldn't mind waiting around for Chris to get home! LOL. Happy Anniversary!

Amber said...

Oh man, now I am even more sad...it has been too long since I have seen all of you and I am ticked that I can't come home this summer!

Amber said...

I was looking at these again, and have to say I laughed looking at these because of the picture of Carter looking at his s'more...it is looks like he has had one too many...drunk on s'mores so to speak. :)

Amber said...

Blurg..remember to proofread, Amber.