Thursday, 31 July 2008

What's in a Name?

People keep asking me what we are going to be naming our little guy. I'd like to give them a straight answer, but this seems to be a matter of conflict between Chris and I. Boy names seem to be way harder to choose than girl names. We have a list a mile long for girls (okay, maybe not a mile), but we can't even agree on one name for a boy. I really want to use the name Jensen Reid Shurtz. Jensen is my mother's maiden name and Reid is Chris' Grandma George's maiden name (get it?). The other name I like is Malachi (no middle name, but he will be known as Kye - not sure on the spelling yet) which I think Chris likes too. Chris was talking about the name Aden at one point, which is a great name if you like it, but I personally am not a fan. Not for one of my boys anyway. Another name I kind of like is Ian. My mom and I watched a movie last night and one of the characters was named Ian. I haven't mentioned this one to Chris. I haven't really given it much thought myself either. Anyways, with the birth of our son not all that far away, I keep thinking about names and how we really need to get on with choosing one. I honestly just want to be able to know right when he is born instead of humming and hawing about it for days afterward. I feel like because I have been carrying this child for almost nine months, 3 of which will have been spent without my husband, and then I will be doing all the work during labour and delivery and pretty much all the work afterword so I really should get to choose the name. Just kidding. I do want Chris to like it. So at this point, I am open to suggestions and opinions. HELP!

14 comments:

Ashley Smith said...

Kay, With Sam we COULDN"T pick a name, nothing sounded right, or good, and we couldn't agree. We were in the operating room and Trev brought him to me and that was when I finally made up my mind (I had nightmares about having the child with no name). Don't stress about it, somthing will fit, Samuel was Trevors mission companion and I decided he looked like a Sam. I'm so excited for your little man!!

Schows said...

I personally am liking the Malachi route, and calling him Kye. Totally cute for a little boy but a sweet name for a teenager too! Lola went two days with no name at all, just "baby girl Schow" haha. But don't worry it wasn't to tramatic, and when we finally picked it, it was perfect. Lola says hi to Aubrey, we miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

...ya know, I'd have to agree with Chris and name the boy Aden.... but definately not Jensen. Chris is such a brilliant man, and extremely wise and mature and handsome, I'm sure what he comes up with will be just perfect. If only I knew this Chris...

ec said...

oh chris.

i'm totally for jensen. a sweet name with some meaning behind it.

good luck!

kelsey said...

i like jensen. . . lol. i would use it it too, except jensen hansen is a litte weird!!! ha. i am loving malachi and ian though too. names are so hard!!! i don't envy you right now, i had the hardest time committing.

Woods said...

Noah didn't have a name for five days after he was born....so, having said that, I don't have much advice! I do like the names your thinking of though. I'm sure once you look at him, one of those names will just fit!

Skye said...

Boy names are so hard. I was so relieved that Ayla was a girl cause we had no boys names picked out at all!!!! I'm voting for Jensen. SO cute!

Anonymous said...

K... I can really sympathize. We have had such a hard time finding boy names. I told Todd that we can't have another boy, because I just don't have another name. My vote is for Jensen though... VERY CUTE!

d d p h o t o g r a p h y said...

i like jensen...thats my pick. and i agree if u are doing most if not all of the work..u should have the final say! sorry chris! lol

i cant believe u are gonna have that little man soon!

Anonymous said...

I agree that the girl should have the final say...I mean its nice to find one that you both like but if that just isn't happening then the girl should have final say! I know a few guys that didn't like the name but of course it grew on them and they ended up liking it! I love both the names. how come no middle name with Malachi though? most people I know that don't have middle names feel sad about it. just a thought...lol! Don't stress though...you'll find something perfect!

Jon, Wendy, Riley, Chris, and Jo said...

Starts with a J . . .

ehjenn said...

Hey. I have never had the opportunity to name a boy but let me tell ya, I have nooooo girls names left. We let Jack and Brae name Kelse(Well her middle name) We seriously had nothing for her first name going in. I do, as you may already know, love naming a kid after a family name (jackson) I love all the names but have to say that Jensen is super cute. Although, so is Aden. I have some friends and they
make it simple the mom names all the girls and the dad names all the boys. Sorry, if that gives Chris any ideas.
Goodluck! Oh and YAY for the poop!!!

ehjenn said...

Sorry and to answer your question. We are in 2nd ward. Party on!!!
I think that 6th includes where our mommies and daddies are building.
Fun. Your gonna be back.

The Lowry's said...

Boys names are definitely harder to pick, I have to agree. I like the name Jensen and the fact that it is a family name. I wanted to do the same thing with our little guy and name him Nelson (which is Jeff's Grandma's maiden name) but obviously I didn't win. I am hoping though if we have another boy I will win the next time because I still really like the name. Good luck! I'm glad for you that Christ is home. I could feel your excitement.