Sunday, 12 April 2009

My Sunday Rant

I'm feeling like I need to rant a little bit, so bare with me. And just so everyone knows, I'm not writing this to make anyone feel bad for anything that has been said in the past. It usually doesn't bother me so much. I've just had one of those days at church where I really wanted to punch a couple of people in the face and tell them to stop talking to me. I would never do that of course, and if you know me, you know I just smiled at them as they were talking to me and nodded. I truly hope that I have never made someone feel the way that I am made to feel on a regular basis. I am going to cut people some slack because I'm pretty sure they aren't purposefully trying to make me feel bad. Hopefully.
So... I'm pretty sure that at least three times a week I have the same conversation. One of the ones I had today was particularly brutal just because of the look the girl was giving me and the tone in her voice. These little conversations generally go something like this:

"How old is your baby?"
"Seven months."
"Are you serious? He's huge! He is SO big!"
"Yep, he's a big boy."
"How do you haul that kid around? And his sister is so petite! How old is she?"
"She's 22 months."
"Oh my. I thought she was older. So that makes them...?"
"15 months apart."
"Oh! That's really close. You must be very busy! I can't even imagine. I thought I was crazy by having my children [insert age here] years apart. I can't even imagine!"
"Yeah, I'm busy. But it's fun and I love it."

So there I stand, looking and feeling like an idiot. But it's true. I LOVE having my kids so close. It's not always the easiest, but it's doable and it is fun. No, it's definitely not for everybody and I'm not suggesting that every mother just jump in and try it out. To each their own, right? It works for me because I have been blessed with a little girl who is so easy, so smart, and so helpful. She is an old soul and talks really well for her age, understands even better, and helps me out a lot. She loves her little brother and plays with him, talks to him, and is really good at entertaining herself too. She has never been the least bit jealous of her little brother either. And then there is Jensen. Have I mentioned enough how much I love him? He is the cutest, sweetest, happiest little boy on the planet. No, he wasn't exactly planned and it took me a while to get used to the idea that I was going to have two little ones so close in age but I know for a fact that he was supposed to come to this earth, to me, at this time. And I would have my babies this close again in a heartbeat. Yes, I would like to have a little break to be able to enjoy the two little ones I have, but that doesn't mean I have any regret as to where I am now. I think some people (including myself) need to realize that the Lord often has a different plan for us than we have for ourselves. He reminds me on a regular basis that my life is not completely my own to do with as I will. He has plans for me and I am thankful for that.

So on that note, Happy Easter! Christ the Lord is risen today! I am thankful for Him, His life and ministry, His love, and His atoning sacrifice.

12 comments:

Jessica.B said...

ash,

i love how wise you are. i wish i was there to punch all those ppl in the face for you! maybe they're just jealous because you are so gorgeous and have two beautiful babies!! (in fact. i'm sure it's true) i love you!! you are an amazing mother. i loved watching you with aubrey - how much you adore and love her!

i hope you are having a fabulous easter sunday!

Ashley Smith said...

xoxox

I know how this goes

xoxox

p.s. kay what is your trick or do I have to see you in person?

kelsey said...

I always worry that I might be one of those people, making other people feel bad. You just never know what might hurt some people, and others might not care about. I can see how that would become annoying though, having people constantly telling you things you already know, and pretending like it's somehow a bad thing!
Jerks.
I would say, "Well, Aubrey came out so cute that we decided we couldn't wait to have another one!" Isn't that what happened? lol.
Love you!

Skye said...

Oh Ashley! I'm so sorry you have to constantly deal with people like that! Stratton was really big, and that's all we heard, and continue to hear from people. It gets annoying really fast. Yeesh!

kyleandtaryn said...

You're kids are perfect and so are you so I'm going to definitely have to agree on the jealousy comment. I dare anyone to try and handle having babies close together with as much love, enthusiasm and grace as you have! You are a pro and I admire all you do! We had a family easter at my grandma's house today and, like I said they would, everyone talked about how gorgeous and well-behaved Jensen and Aubrey were, and how beautiful and sweet you are! Thanks again for coming to hang out, and don't let people get you down!

The Samples Sampler said...

"You must be really busy!" Seriously! Don't people think before they speak?? Good thing you didn't punch them! Probably not the best thing to do in church! But outside of church...

Ashley Smith said...

lol I killed my facebook because I was spending to much time on it, it actually made me feel real good but I have some withdrawls. When are you moving to Red Deer, maybe if I have a car I will come visit where ever you are at the time.

Francis Family said...

Ashley, I totally know where you are coming from. I hear it ALL the time. Like, "I'm glad it's you and not me!" that's the one that I hate. But other than that, you just can't let it get to ya, I get a lot of it. Obviously you were blessed with what you were supposed to have and you are doing great! By the way chubby babies are cute, I have 2 of them and I LOVE it!

R&A said...

I agree with Jessica, I just want to punch them in the face for you!! I have the opposite problem, "how long you been married?" "almost 3 years", "oh, and you don't have any kids?." I think having them close would be so much fun and when they are older they will be that much closer!! Miss you guys!

The Lowry's said...

I heard that a lot with Bryce, that he was a big boy. It gets annoying really fast. I bet it is fun having the kids so close. I know I would never plan them (like you have read on my blog) that close, but if it happened that i did get pregnant i know that I would enjoy it just as much and maybe even more. Who knows? Your a great mother! Thanks for all your comments. I want you to know that you inspire me and I enjoy reading your blog.

d d p h o t o g r a p h y said...

umm for realz?! what is wrong with people. Jensen is seriously the cutest little ham around and Aubrey is brilliant..duh..
Kelli and I were just saying what a great mom you are and how much respect we have for you.

chin up..you are doing a fantastic job and are so blessed!

brooke byam said...

hey this is brooke byam (baldry) i don't have a blog i was just creeping but my kids are 11 months apart and i know EXACTLY how you feel! i had someone tell me to my face that didn't even know me that i was irrisponsible and that it was child abuse! others have asked me if my kid was an accident (not their business). some people just need to think before they speak. you are a great mom (from what i have gathered) and no child is an accident. some people can handle it and some can't and that is for us to decide for ourselves not others to decide for us and comment on. keep being a good mom and you can vent to me anytime!!!! im with ya! hahah its fun is right! sorry for the long comment.