I was FINALLY in Uganda. It felt so surreal. Getting into the country was no big deal as the entry laws are the same for almost every nationality. We were picked up from the airport by our driver, Joseph, who has become a close friend to my dad and now to me, and Joseph's friend Habbat! We were driven from the airport in Entebbe to the Mekerere University guest house in Kampala where we would be staying when we got back from our Safari. We only had a short amount of time to meet up with Dr. Sorensen and his dental assistant, Jenna, and get packed up for our safari. We had a long drive ahead of us and we needed get on our way.
At a gas station on the way to Murchison Falls
The drive to Murchison falls was quite the experience in and of itself. The country is very beautiful even if it is quite dirty. It's just so green and lush and the dirt is so so red. I saw poverty like I have never seen before which was a huge contrast from the UAE. My favorite part of our drive was watching the children's eyes light up when they saw us drive by in the van. They would smile and wave and yell, "Mzungu!" which means "aimless wanderer". Most people think it means white person. Joseph told me the actual meaning.Masindi Hotel
After our long bumpy drive (the roads are full of potholes) we finally arrived at our Hotel in Masindi which is not too far out of Murchison falls park. Our hotel was actually the oldest hotel in Uganda. It was really neat. We had a pretty yummy supper and then headed off to bed. Jenna and I roomed together (through the entire trip actually) and enjoyed our "princess beds" as we called them. Sleeping under mosquito nets is highly recommended to be protected from malaria infected mosquitoes.The Princess Bed
Our day started bright and early so that we could have an early start on our Safari. First we had to get passes to enter the park.
The Entance to Murchison Falls Park
We then had a bit of a drive to get to the Nile. On the way we saw so many baboons! They were everywhere! And they would just hang out on the road and saunter along and show us their hideous bums. When we got to the Nile we had to wait to board the ferry so that we could cross the Nile.We are here. Except I'm not pointing at the right spot...

Hippos watching us as we cross the Nile on the ferry.
Hippos watching us as we cross the Nile on the ferry.
Once we were across Joseph and Habbat lifted the top of the safari van and we picked up our Safari guide, Sam. Best safari guide ever! Once we were all situated, the safari began!

Warthogs!

Cape Buffalo (AKA Water Buffalo). We saw A LOT of these.

The official bird of Uganda: Crested Crane

Giraffes! We saw a lot of these too! I think they're my fave.

A cute monkey.

Sam and Me.

Best spot in the van for the best view. Best spot to get a brutal sunburn too.
Warthogs!
Cape Buffalo (AKA Water Buffalo). We saw A LOT of these.
The official bird of Uganda: Crested Crane
Giraffes! We saw a lot of these too! I think they're my fave.
A cute monkey.
Sam and Me.
Best spot in the van for the best view. Best spot to get a brutal sunburn too.
Sam took us way off the beaten path to find some elephants. It was well worth because we sure found elephants! We found a large herd!

My favorite elephant. She posed just for me to take a picture.

Dr. Sorensen, Sam, and my dad. Sam was explaining to us all about elephants.
They really are amazing creatures.
My favorite elephant. She posed just for me to take a picture.
Dr. Sorensen, Sam, and my dad. Sam was explaining to us all about elephants.
They really are amazing creatures.
When we were done with observing the elephants we went in search of a lion. We knew the likelihood of seeing a lion was really slim as they are nocturnal and can usually only be seen at night or very early in the morning. Sam spotted a couple of giraffes standing in some tall brush both staring down at the same spot and he told us that there was most likely a lion in that spot. We drove over there to see what we could see. We didn't get to see a lion but we could sure smell the animal carcass it had feasted on.
After our excursion it was time for lunch so we drove to a safari lodge to eat. We had to be let through a gate at the base of the safari lodge and just through the gate, right by where the safari drivers and guides stay, was a momma and her baby elephant! We hunted for quite a while to find some elephants and all we had to do was go for lunch.

Cute little baby!
The safari lodge we ate at was spectacular! It looked like something you would see in a movie of Africa back in the day. The picture doesn't do it justice. Not in the least.

The safari lodge.
After our excursion it was time for lunch so we drove to a safari lodge to eat. We had to be let through a gate at the base of the safari lodge and just through the gate, right by where the safari drivers and guides stay, was a momma and her baby elephant! We hunted for quite a while to find some elephants and all we had to do was go for lunch.
Cute little baby!
The safari lodge we ate at was spectacular! It looked like something you would see in a movie of Africa back in the day. The picture doesn't do it justice. Not in the least.
The safari lodge.
Lunch was great and it was nice to have a rest from the bumping of the road and from the sun. Jenna and I got pretty burned. I don't usually burn but I forgot that my malaria medication said to stay out of the sun... oops!
After lunch we headed out on our river tour. We cruised along the Nile in a little boat that looked like an elongated canoe with a canopy and a motor on it. Any time people from one side of the boat moved to the other side of the boat it felt like we were going to tip! This is especially scary considering all the crocodiles we saw! We also saw a lot of elephants, hippos, and many different species of birds. We also saw a lone cape buffalo which is sad because when they are alone it means they have been kicked out of their heard and have a very slim chance of survival on their own.

One of the many crocodiles we saw. I would hate to run into one of these guys...
After lunch we headed out on our river tour. We cruised along the Nile in a little boat that looked like an elongated canoe with a canopy and a motor on it. Any time people from one side of the boat moved to the other side of the boat it felt like we were going to tip! This is especially scary considering all the crocodiles we saw! We also saw a lot of elephants, hippos, and many different species of birds. We also saw a lone cape buffalo which is sad because when they are alone it means they have been kicked out of their heard and have a very slim chance of survival on their own.
One of the many crocodiles we saw. I would hate to run into one of these guys...
At the end of the river, near the base of the falls, Dr. Sorensen, Jenna, my dad, and I got off the boat (and we were the only ones that got off) to hike up the falls. We met up with our guide for the hike, Laurence, and began the long hike up to the top of the falls. I was reminded just how out of shape I am but the hike was well worth it!

Murchison Falls

My dad and me at the top.

Jenna, Laurence, and me at the top.
Murchison Falls
My dad and me at the top.
Jenna, Laurence, and me at the top.
Joseph and Habbat met us at the top and drove us to the safari lodge where we were staying the night. It wasn't the safari lodge where we had lunch but it was still a really neat one. I'm pretty sure we were the only guests there which I felt bad about... but the food was pretty good once again and my dad and Dr. Sorensen got to enjoy a swim! The lodge even had a pool! I didn't bring a swimming suit so I didn't get to join in...
I saw so many more animals than I have shown and I learned so much about them that I didn't know before. I especially learned a lot about the elephants, giraffes, and cape buffalo. It was such an amazing experience. I don't think I'll ever get a thrill from a zoo again...

3 comments:
This is so amazing. I'm so glad you got to go. Kudos to Chris, who had to be a mom the whole time. . . ha. Your pictures are gorgeous. Hippos freak me out. The end. Please let there be at least ten parts to this story. . .
Kelsey! I'm sorry you read this post before it was finished! I did something I usually never do and blogged while the kiddo's were up so Carter kept pressing buttons and this post got published before it was done! I hope you re-read it now that it's complete.
And there are more parts coming. Maybe not 10 but at least 3 or 4 :).
I did read it again, and loved it all.
Post a Comment