Friday, 18 May 2012

How We Got Here

I don't have too much to say about today. It was pretty chill. We went grocery shopping and the kids and I hit up the "Dandelion Park" as I have decided to name it. It is full of 'em! Mind you, PEI is covered in dandelions. Chris says he's pretty sure PEI is the dandelion province. The dandelions are overrunning the place!

So because there is not much to say about today I thought I would go back a couple of months and explain how we got to be in Prince Edward Island selling security systems for Vivint for yet another summer. Even after I made Chris swear to me that we were done. I really thought we were done with Vivint forever. As did Chris. He had even gotten a decent job selling water filtration systems. He was doing quite well with it and seemed happy there and the company was really happy with him. They were even putting him up for management! At least that's what they told Chris. Then we found out that that's what they say to everyone.

So then we go back to when I was in St. George. While I was there I was struggling with figuring out when I was going to go home. I was planning on driving with all 3 kids by myself. I didn't think it was a big deal, I have done it before, but it was a big deal to some others. And then Chris called me to let me know that he was going to be flying down to Provo the weekend after I was planning on leaving. Apparently Shawn (our Vivint manager) had arranged for Chris to join him for the managers weekend in Provo where Tony Robbins would be speaking. Chris jumped on that in a hurry (he is a big Tony Robbins fan) and I now had someone to drive home with as Chris and I decided that I would just come pick him up in Provo and he would drive back with me instead of flying back with the rest of the Vivint crew. Did I mention that they were flying in a private plane?

During one of our many phone conversations over that next week before the big Vivint weekend I kept saying to Chris that Shawn, Lane, and Brock & Co. had ulterior motives. He really believed that they didn't. I guess Chris thought that they were just inviting him because he was a big fan of Tony Robbins. Ha! Oh my dear, sweet, naive husband. Apparently that weekend is the coveted weekend and you have to be a manager in order to go. Chris wasn't even going to work for them anymore! They definitely had ulterior motives and they let him know pretty quick into the weekend that they did. That weekend Shawn, and Lane, and Brock all talked to Chris about how he needed to work for Vivint again and how he needed to do it for a couple more years because he should be managing. There was definitely a lot more to it than that. There was a lot of motivational stuff for Chris too. He said it was a life changing weekend. In our last conversation we had before I picked him up he told me that we had a lot to talk about. My hear sank right then.

When I finally picked him up at the Vivint building in Provo he started to tell me all about the events of the weekend and how inspiring it was. Thankfully the kids fell asleep before we got to the big stuff because I cried for probably 4 hours straight. I cried because I got an answer that I didn't want to get without even really asking for an answer. Our discussion went into what Shawn and Brock and Lane all had to say to Chris and how what they had to say had kept him up all night, tossing and turning and pondering and praying about what he should do. They really wanted him to sell again and it wasn't just about what it would do for them, it was about Chris and the good it would do for him. Chris felt that it was the right thing to do but he knew he had to discuss it with me, the one who was so against summer sales. When we talked he told me that if I said no, that there was no way I was willing to do another year of summer sales, than he wouldn't do it. That meant a lot to me especially considering that he has made the decision to do summer sales every year up to this point on his own. I knew it was the best thing for our family even though I didn't want it to be but we continued our discussion and I told him how this summer has to be in order for it to work for our family. And he agreed. And here we are. And we will be doing it again next year. Only Chris will be managing.

This summer is so different than any other summer that we have ever had. Chris and I are going into it with a completely different mind set. Usually we go into a summer saying that it is our last year and we are never going to do it again. Chris actually made a valiant effort to make that true this year! But this year we know we are doing it for another summer after this. Chris is also a trainer for the office and helping our manager Shawn train all the new guys. He has also promised me some things and has so far kept up his end of the bargain. I have promised Chris that I am going to have a better attitude and be positive. I have come to realize that this is a real job and it is a job that Chris is good at and that he enjoys. It was a hard pill to swallow for me but I have done it. And this is going to be the best summer we have ever had. I am going to make sure of that.

2 comments:

Francis Family said...

It's crazy where life takes us hey? I'm glad you guys are doing good though! And maybe being in managing it won't be as bad for ya? I have no clue. ha. I know how hard it can be to adjust our life for the husbands career. You are a good woman!
:)

kelsey said...

It's so cool that you get to have such great experiences in random places with your tiny family. I know it's hard to move with the little ones, but I bet you cherish these memories forever. Don't you hate it when you get an answer that you didn't want? LOL. It's humbling. I hope it all works out for you guys!

At least there's a plan, right? Ha. We have been so sporadic too, I'm ready to just be done and settle. Maybe!