*WARNING: If you do not want to hear a labor story in graphic detail, don't read this!
Every Wednesday morning I take the kids to Parent Preschool. This week it was no different. I was feeling pretty good which is always frustrating at the end of a pregnancy when you just want that baby OUT! I had to leave a little early because I had a doctor's appointment to get to. Aubrey was not happy about that!
At my appointment the first thing my doctor said to me was, "I have a bit of a problem..." As it turns out, he was going to be leaving bright and early on the 19th and he wouldn't be back until late the 21st. I was due on the 21st. He was gone when I had Jensen and a different doctor delivered him. I really didn't want that again. The solution? Well, Dr. Steed wanted to see how I was progressing. So we did the usual checking the heart beat and measuring the height of the fundus. He then checked to see how far I was dilated. I was 2 cm. As he checked he also did a membrane sweep to hopefully get things moving a little more. He told me that everything was lined up and ready to go and that he would be surprised if I didn't have this baby within the next 48 hours. Dr. Steed asked if at the slight chance I didn't have the baby by Monday if I would want to be induced. I responded with an emphatic YES! So it was lined up that I would be induced at 8:30 Monday morning. There was an end in sight!
I went home and was immediately sore. I went to the bathroom and there was bloody show! And then the contractions started. I could definitely feel them unlike with my other two. They were very bearable but very regular coming every 5 minutes and about 30 seconds long. It was like that for the rest of the day. I just went about my day like it was any other with the same routines for my kids. After Aubrey and Jensen went to bed I went for a 2 hour walk with my friend Amanda in hopes that that would get things going. As we were walking, I didn't notice the contractions so much. I think it was more of a good distraction than anything. When I got home, Jess and Cheryl were at the house doing laundry which worked out perfectly. Chris and I asked them if they would stay the night just in case. For the rest of the night we just chatted and I timed contractions. Nothing really seemed to be any different except the contractions felt stronger. At 1 am I called the hospital and let them know what was going on and the nurse told me that because my contractions weren't lasting more than 30 seconds she didn't think it was completely necessary that I come in but I could if I wanted to get things checked out. Chris and I decided that we should go so we got my stuff, threw it in the car, and we were on our way. At the hospital the nurse hooked me up to the monitor and checked to see how far I was dilated. I was still only 2cm! The monitor was showing that my contractions were coming every 2 minutes and they were 60 seconds long and strong so the nurse decided to admit me into labor and delivery. She called Dr. Steed to let him know what was happening. He said to start my IV (I was group B strep positive) and then he would come in at 3am to break my water.
The IV was started and finished so I decided that I would take advantage of not being hooked up to anything and walk around. As I was walking around my water broke in the middle of a contraction just before 3 am! I was so excited because my water has never broken on its own before and I was really hoping that would happen this time. It actually made me laugh! Chris called the nurse back in while I just stood in a puddle. The nurse called Dr. Steed to come in right away. When he got there he checked to see how far I was dilated and at this time I was at 8 cm. Then things slowed down big time. My contractions went from 2 minutes apart to 10 or more minutes apart. I think it was because I was back to laying in a bed so I asked if it was ok if I started walking around again. As soon as I started walking, things sped back up and next thing I knew I was ready to push! Chris, Dr. Steed, and the nurse helped me back into the bed and after 4 pushes, he was out and screaming! Does he ever have lungs! Chris just laughed and said, "his cry isn't stressful!" That was a big relief because Jensen's cry as a newborn was very stressful!
There is nothing like the feeling of giving birth. It is so empowering and the adrenalin rush is indescribable. I was grinning from ear to ear and couldn't stop. I had no epidural, no tearing, no episiotomy and I felt fantastic! I did feel a little sad that they took my baby boy from me right away instead of placing him on me and it felt like they had him forever. The discussion in the room was quite humorous though. Dr. Steed seriously thought I was going to have a baby that was in the low 7 lbs range so he just kept saying, "wow! You were definitely ALL baby!" After baby was weighed, measured, cleaned, the apgar test done, he was dressed, and wrapped, he was finally given to me and I couldn't have been happier.
Chris and I still hadn't fully agreed on a name but while Chris was holding his son he looked at me and said, "so, it's Carter, right?" I agreed. I love the name Carter! I chose the middle name Gibb which is my dad's middle name and my Grandma Cahoon's maiden name.
The hospital was really busy at that time and they didn't have a room for me so I had to stay in Labor and Delivery for most of the day and then I was moved to overflow. It was actually quite nice because there is no one else down there and it was so quiet. I stayed until Saturday morning feeling well rested and ready to be with the rest of my family!
Sunday, 31 October 2010
October 13 & 14
Carter, just minutes old!
I finally got to hold and inspect my little man. He sure looked like Jensen at first!
Looking good after the swelling is down and having a first bath! I was pleasantly surprised to see all that hair after having my two bald babies!
Aubrey and Jensen came to the hospital to meet their new baby brother. They both love him so much. I'm so thankful for my two good natured children and for not having to deal with jealousy issues!
Posted by Ashley at 22:56
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I LOVE IT!!! that's so exciting...and it wasn't that graphic haha. and i know how you feel, i love giving birth, it's amazing. hope all is well and that your all adjusting fine :)
So awesome! You're such a champ! Congratulations you cute little momma of three!
yay! I loved reading this. He's perfect, congrats guys!
ditto on the loving the whole birth thing. but we've already talked about that a bazillion times.
good job, ash. i can't wait to meet him!
I love labor stories and am glad I was kinda part of this one! He really is adorable!
he is a cutie! and i love the name!
Love the birth stories! They're my favorite! I love that your water broke, I feel the same way, mine has never broke on it's own so I want it to at least once!
He is so cute and I love the name you chose!
Congrats you guys!
I love his name. He's perfect. Its fun to hear labor stories so thanks for sharing. Glad everything went well. I will be sad when you move to Lethbridge. You will still have to come out to Stay and Play and such.
So, I thought I had read that already, but I haven't seen the pictures, and it didn't seem familiar. Where have I been?! So, you are way tougher than me, for sure, but that is how I feel after having a baby...pretty great. I always wonder if it is because of the preceeding 9 months of misery. :)
Post a Comment