Saturday, 28 July 2012

New River Beach

We had a fabulous day at the beach today and I have a shower full of sand, a lobster red sunburn, and 3 conked out kiddos to prove it!


 I decided to take the kiddos (and Natasha) to a beach today. We have been living on the Atlantic Ocean for almost 3 months now and we have only been to a beach once. I saw that it was going to be a beautiful day so I looked up a couple of beaches, made the decision as to which one to go to, packed up the car, and headed out (On a side note, I forgot our towels and my camera... we fared well without the towels and thank goodness for cell phones!). I just happened to pick the busiest day of the year to go to New River Beach. There was some sort of of Sand Castle Festival going on and there were over 8000 people there today! It was pretty cool though. We got to see some amazing sand sculptures that were built for the sand sculpture competition, people were selling their crafts, and food, and candy, and a big radio station was there playing music and judging the event. We even got a couple of beach balls given to us by the radio station, but they both got stolen. We managed to find a pretty low populated area of the beach and played our hearts out in the sand. The kiddos loved it! They didn't love going into the ocean though. They would dip their toes in and then run away. I think the waves scared them a little and it was freezing! I, on the other hand, LOVE water and I went quite a ways in and went for a swim! None of my kids got the love of water gene I guess. But playing in the sand was good enough for them!


This is a really neat (and large) seashell I found. I was excited to bring it home until I saw that a clam had decided to make this shell its home. So we threw it back out into the ocean before the seagulls discovered it.


When we got to the beach the tide was way out and by the time we were heading out it was quite quickly coming back in! I am so amazed by how for out the tide goes...


The wet sand was perfect for sand castle digging and felt so good on the toes! It just didn't feel so good when it dried out and was caked on to our skin...







Jensen's plumber bum in his swim trunks kills me! Poor kid. Once his trunks get wet they don't stay up very well!



It is an enormous beach so there was plenty of room for the 8000 people.


Carter was covered in sand from head to toe! I learned today that getting sand out of hair is not an easy task.




Overall it was a fabulous day and we can't wait to do it again!

3 comments:

Kelli Olsen said...

Looks like you had fun. I wish we had a beach like that close by. Oh, and I love Aubrey's swim suit...so cute! I also think you need to get some pics of yourself as well so we know that you were really there too!

ec said...

so fun! wish I was on a beach....

kyleandtaryn said...

So fun! The trick to the sand is baby powder. Powder everyone up before they start playing and it won't stick to you after it dries...brushes right off. Glad you are having such a great trip!!