Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Soldiers Square


We went on another adventure today! We only have a few days left in Fredericton so we have to get as much in as we can! So I took the kids downtown to a place called Soldiers Square. It was actually really cool. The Soldiers parade into the square, with bagpipes and a drum leading the procession and then they do a few demonstrations. The bagpipers and the drummer demonstrated some of the music they played during the battles and the soldiers demonstrated some of their formations, how they used the bayonets, and even shot the guns (there wasn't real ammo in the guns of course). The kids were in awe of it all.





The Square formation
When the demonstrations were over we had someone approach us and tell us that there was a short (free) play being put on and that there would be (free) lemonade served. How could we pass up free?! So we headed over to where the play was put on and enjoyed the show and some lemonade!

The play was about a day in a soldiers life during the war of 1812. It was a little silly so as to appeal more to the young-in's there but it was educational and the kids enjoyed it. The crowd was small and a little dead though. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one there who clapped and laughed.

The building (called "The Guardhouse") where the play was held was actually built during the War of 1812 and we got to tour it after the play was over (for free)! I love when things are free...


The Guard house has three separate sections. The first section we saw was the military office. We learned about how the soldiers were required to put out fires. With little buckets. I'm pretty sure they didn't save too many buildings, if any at all. We also saw the snowshoes the soldiers wore when they had to march through the snow as well as the desk that the generals would do their work at.

The second section was the Barracks room. Soldiers there were not actually allowed to sleep while they were there on duty so the beds were extremely uncomfortable, low to the ground, and on a slant so that the soldiers could sit up quickly if they did decide to lay down. They were allowed to play games such as chess, cards, or dominoes or they could play a musical instrument if they had one.




The third section was the cell block. We got to see where the soldiers who got in trouble were kept. They were put in little cells with nothing but a metal bed and a small, thin, wool blanket. I think the wooden floor would have been more comfortable. The soldiers who were in really big trouble got put down into a hole that was 10 feet deep and 3 feet by 3 feet square. It wasn't possible to sit because it was so small and it was cold and damp and dirty and the air quality was terrible. Men were kept down there for up to 3 weeks at a time and would often get sick. If they got sick they were brought out of the hole, taken to a doctor, and as soon as they got well they were put back into the hole to serve the rest of their sentence.

It was a really enjoyable day! I love learning about history so this was right up my alley. I was amazed with how well the kids listened and how much they learned. Jensen rattled off quite a bit of information to Chris this evening when he was telling daddy about his day. I was so impressed and glad to know that the kiddos got something out of today too. There was so much more to see and do there so I am planning on going back soon!

2 comments:

Our Family of Four said...

i am loving hearing about all these neat places you are seeing! I love history too, so I like learning from your guys' fun:)
And I love that your kids enjoy this stuff! You don't see that too often these days!

kelsey said...

You guys are having some seriously great adventures. Thanks for blogging them all! It's cool for me to see what the "other" part of Canada has to offer!!! Also, your kids are serious gems for being so patient through some of this stuff I think would bore Norah to tears. LOL>