
For the first time in about a month of Sundays we were able to attend church! I've missed church. It's not like we were just skipping out on church, the desire to go was there, but for some reason going to church just hasn't worked out. Take our experience with trying to go to church while in Miramichi for example; church was actually an hour away so we got all ready to go and we were able to get out the door to be on time but then one of the guys that Chris works with locked his keys in the trunk of his car so we offer him and another guy a ride and cleaned out the back of our SUV so that they could fit only to find out that they were going to wait until they could get the keys to their car. We were going to be 40 minutes late for church at this point because it took us that long to empty our SUV of it's contents and get the stuff up to our hotel room. I was a little frustrated, but whatever, we decided to head off to church anyway. We drove the hour to church and then we couldn't find the actual church! We drove around for another 20 minutes trying to find the church and we finally found it only to discover that it was a french speaking ward. Great. I really didn't want to send my kids to a strange primary to sit with a bunch a people they don't know and can't understand. And I didn't really want to sit through Sunday School and Relief Society that I couldn't understand. So we turned around and went back to the hotel. The other weeks we missed was because of moving. Sunday is the only day off so that is the day we have to pack up an move. And it's an entire office effort. So after missing 4 Sundays of church we finally got to go today and I was so excited! I seriously love church. Especially when I'm so far away from home. It's something that's familiar. But today didn't go without it's hitches of course. We could not find the church. We drove around for a good 35 minutes until we finally found it. We had looked up the address on the church website and punched it into our GPS so either the church website needs to get proper addresses or we need to get our GPS checked. At least we know where it is for the next 5 weeks that we are here! The kids loved being back at primary/nursery for the most part. Apparently Jensen left part way through and joined the nursery class. I guess he was the only boy in Sunbeams and wasn't a fan of that too much. Funny boy. I really enjoyed being there and I even met a couple of moms who took my number and have invited me to go to the beach with them and such this week!
After church we decided to check out the Reversing Falls. "Right at the doorstep of Saint John, the Bay of Fundy’s monstrous tides bring spectacle to life. Hundreds of millions of years ago, continents collided, forming the gorge through which the St. John river flows. When the world’s highest tides push in, rushing up and over the river, they collide, and the river actually reverses in the face of this unstoppable natural power. Then, as the water begins to drop with low tide, the river empties freely into the Bay, and the full flow of the St. John River thunders through the gorge once more." (Taken from http://discoversaintjohn.com/places/reversing-rapids/). It is a very beautiful area. We just walked along the path they have there and enjoyed the view. You can take a boat tour of the area or go on a speed boat through the rapids which would be so fun. Hopefully sometime we will get to do that.
From the paths you could see a green house right on the riverbanks that was collapsing into the water. So sad for that house. And the people who own it.
When we had finished enjoying the sights of the Reversing Falls, we walked a little ways and found a park that was full of wooden statues. We learned that the statues were of people who were important in the history of Saint John and there was a little plaque for each one that told the story of why they were important so we wandered the paths and read each and every one. There were quite a few. The kiddos lost interest fairly quickly but they managed to keep themselves entertained while Chris and I learned a little more of the history of Saint John. I'm not kidding when I say I love that kind of stuff.
All in all I would say it was a pretty successful Sunday.








0 comments:
Post a Comment