Today is my dad's 63rd birthday and because I am so far away, I thought that I would write a tribute to him since I can't give him the usual birthday foot rub.
I have the best dad and there aren't too many men in the world like him. He has so many amazing qualities and I have so many fond memories of him from early childhood right up to now. There are so many things that I love about my dad.
My dad is very charitable. One of my earliest memories I have of my dad is going with him to the hospital to visit people who were sick. He has always set a good example of giving service. I have heard many stories (and none of them from him) of how he did dental work for free or gave a discount for different families who needed the help. I look at him now, giving up so much of his time to help the people of Uganda and Rwanda, even when things get really tough.
My dad is a fighter. Almost 13 years ago my dad was in a horrific car accident. He had a head on collision with a semi on his way to Red Deer for some church meetings. That was probably the worst night of my life. I can remember the moment like it was yesterday, when the policeman came to our door to let us know that my dad had been in a horrible accident and that they weren't sure if he would make it. I remember screaming for my dad and I remember the horrible worry of living a life without my dad. Thankfully he came out of that on top and trust me he had many set backs after that accident. He is an inspiration of determination and defying the odds. It's a miracle that he lived, it's a miracle that he walked again, and it's a miracle that he was able to work again as he was told he wouldn't be able to walk or work.
He is a really hard worker but he always makes time for his family. He also knows how to have a lot of fun! My dad has always been really busy, whether it be with work or church callings or volunteering but he always makes sure that he spends time with his family. Sometimes he includes us in the work and sometimes he just makes time to play. Growing up our family hobby was dirt biking. There would be Fridays when he would come home from work and say, "let's pack up! We're going camping this weekend!" He can also be very spontaneous. We got really good at loading up the trailer with our bikes and getting the camper all packed up. After my dad's car accident and the move to Raymond we no longer did the dirt biking thing but we did get a cabin and a boat and that became our new family hobby. My dad really knows how to show us a good time while we are there, there is never a dull moment, and going to the cabin is never the same without my dad.
When I was younger my dad used to take me on daddy/daughter dates. I remember going out to dinner with him on occasion and loving having that one on one time with my dad. We also used ride horses together once or twice a week. He loved to get those horses running flat out in the open fields and to this day, when the crops come off in the fall, I think of riding horses with my dad.
I love watching my dad with my kids. He is such a fantastic grandpa and all his grandchildren love him so much. He is really good at involving them in work and teaching them how to do things. One of Jensen's favorite things is working with grandpa out in the yard. There have been times where he has even managed to get Aubrey to help out and that is no easy feat!
He works hard and he knows how to play hard too!
He knows how to sleep anywhere! And he has the loudest snore!
My dad is a fantastic teacher too. Anybody who has taken any kind of class from him says so. He is so knowledgeable in so many areas. He retains information like no other too. I love listening to him share his wealth of knowledge on any topic and to this day he is the person I like to go to for advice or any questions I have.
I have never heard my dad speak ill of anyone. He knows how to find a persons best qualities and is good at encouraging people to be their best self. He has had people wrong him terribly and he still speaks well of them. He is definitely positive and probably the most Christlike person I know.
He has such amazing integrity. My dad has strong values and holds to them. If he says something, you know he means it and that he is going to keep his word. I think that is a rare thing nowadays. And the thing is, because he sees the best in people, he believes other people will hold to their word as well.
My dad is also a great example of good time management and filling a day to the max. I don't know of anyone who can fill a day like he can. He also has great perseverance and doesn't give up. I'm simply in awe of him.
I think one of my favorite memories of my dad will always be my trip to Africa with him. He shared something with me that is so near and dear to him; his project, the places he has come to love so much, and the people he has come to love so much. It has become something near and dear to me as well. It was an experience of a lifetime and it's all thanks to my amazing father.
Dad, you are my hero! You are the best dad a girl could ask for and I am so thankful that I get to call you my dad. Thank you for being such an amazing person and setting such an amazing example. Thank you for believing in me and always being there for me and for my little family. I love you so much and I hope you have a fantastic birthday! You deserve it! I love you!
XOXO
Ash



4 comments:
aw i love this! and i love your dad too! he is so incredible and such a great example to me. i wish we could see him more.
Beautiful tribute to your Dad Ash!
I have always loved your dad AND your mom. You have fabulous parents.
What a fabulous tribute! You do have wonderful parents (I don't really know them, but my few interactions with them have been great and you can tell right off how great they are)
Post a Comment